An applications-oriented approach designed especially
to meet the math needs of those in the various engineering technologies
who have limited mathematical backgrounds.
presents a good balance between mathematical concepts, manipulative
mathematics, and their applications to the technologies emphasizing
both the how and the why.
reviews selected topics from arithmetic and geometry.
carefully explains and motivates all mathematical concepts
contains over 1200 step-by-step examples.
includes an abundance and variety of technical applications
which require no prior technical knowledge.
features over 7000 problems.
introduces and uses a scientific calculator throughout as
the need arises.
1. Operations with Real Numbers.
2. Introduction to Exponents and Radicals.
3. Operations with Algebraic Expressions.
5. Functions and Graphs.
6. Trigonometric Functions of an Acute Angle.
7. Reference Angles and Vectors.
8. Straight Lines.
9. Systems of Equations.
10. Factoring and Fractions.
11. Operations with Radicals.
12. Quadratic Equations and Functions.
13. Complex Numbers.
15. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions.
16. Graphs of the Trigonometric Functions.
17. Trigonometric Formulas and Equations.
18. Oblique Triangles, Area, and Angular Speed.
20. Sequences and Series.
21. Analytic Geometry.
24. Curve Sketching.
25. Applications of the Derivative.
26. Derivatives of Transcendental Functions.
28. Applications of the Integral.
29. Techniques of Integration.
Appendix A: The Scientific Calculator.
Appendix B: Table of Selected Integrals.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Problems.