This popular text introduces students to the fundamental concepts of
beginning algebra by continuously involving them in the learning process.
Utilizing a strong interactive approach, this volume includes a variety of
distinctive features, which reinforce topics by having students practice each
new skill as it is presented. Periodic reviews are also incorporated, offering
students the opportunity to check their progress and correct any
misunderstandings. Through frequent keying of in-text learning materials,
students are referred to the section where the topic in question is addressed.
begins each chapter with a motivational applied problem that can be
solved after students have mastered the skills covered in that chapter.
includes many applied problems in every chapter, thereby emphasizing
problem solving as a natural outgrowth of acquiring algebraic skills.
Speaking the Language helps students develop a better
mathematics vocabulary by having them speak in mathematical terms.
Examples reinforce the presentation of a new idea; partially
worked-out examples are also included for students to complete.
Checkups test students' understanding of the most important
concepts in each section.
Review Exercises provide an overview of each chapter.
1. Working with the Numbers of Arithmetic.
2. Working with Real Numbers.
3. Working with Variable Expressions.
4. Solving First-Degree Equations.
5. Working with Exponents.
6. Working with Polynomials.
7. Factoring Polynomials and Solving Quadratic Equations.
8. Working with Rational Expressions.
9. Working with Inequalities.
10. Working with Equations in Two Variables.
11. Solving Systems of Linear Equations.
12. Working with Square Roots.