A comprehensive introduction to the fundamental concepts
and skills of intermediate algebra necessary for further work in calculus
uses a clear, informal, easy-to-read format.
explores the applications of math to other subjects.
includes test your understanding exercises for
self-study of basic algebraic skills, and challenge problems that
demand higher-order thinking.
features numerous worked-out examples.
provides marginal notes pointing out errors to avoid.
1. The Set of Real Numbers.
2. Fundamental Operations.
3. Introduction to Equations and Inequalities.
4. Fundamental Operations with Rational Expressions.
5. Rational Exponents and Radicals, Complex Numbers, and
6. Graphing Linear Equations and Inequalities: The Function
7. Quadratic Functions and the Conic Sections, with Applications.
8. Graphing Functions: Roots of Polynomial Functions.
9. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions.
10. Systems of Equations and Inequalities.
11. Sequences and Series.
12. Permutations, Combinations, Probability.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises.