This clear, concise fairly easy classic text is particularly well-suited to courses that
emphasize finding solutions to differential equations where applications
play an important role. Many illustrative examples in each chapter
help the student to understand the subject. Computer applications new to this edition.
This, classic ODE book, has been so successful because it
is the clearest and easiest of all texts in this market.
This is the shortest of all the major ODE texts (it covers
boundary values problems and PDEs. The brevity makes it usable in
Includes abundant exercises and applications.
Presents a thorough treatment of power series techniques.
Presents a classical treatment of select physical problems
to show how Fourier series are utilized in the solution of these problems.
NEWMost chapters include a new section with suggestions
and exercises for using a computer to assist in the understanding
of the material in the chapter.
NEWProvides an introduction to the phase plane
and to different types of phase portraits.
1. Definitions; Families of Curves.
2. Equations of Order One.
3. Numerical Methods.
4. Elementary Applications.
5. Additional Topics on Equations of Order One.
6. Linear Differential Equations.
7. Linear Equations with Constant Coefficients.
8. Nonhomogeneous Equations: Undetermined Coefficients.
9. Variation of Parameters.
11. Linear Systems of Equations.
12. Nonhomogeneous Systems of Equations.
13. The Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions.
14. The Laplace Transform.
15. Inverse Transforms.
16. Nonlinear Equations.
17. Power Series Solutions.
18. Solutions Near Regular Singular Points.
19. Equations of Hypergeometric Type.
20. Partial Differential Equations.
21. Orthogonal Sets of Functions.
22. Fourier Series.
23. Boundary Value Problems.
24. Additional Properties of the Laplace Transform.
25. Partial Differential Equations Transform Methods.
Answers to Odd-numbered Exercises.