Second Edition, 912 pages, 1999, Cloth
Jeffrey A. Hoffer, University of Dayton
Joey F. George, Florida State University
Joseph S. Valacich, Washington State University
Soon after its first publication in 1995, Modern Systems Analysis and
Design, an innovative new text for tomorrow's systems
developers and project managers, became one of the most widely
used systems analysis and design textbooks in the marketplace.
This textbook is renowned as being one of the most technically
accurate in its field. The new edition can be bundled with Oracle
Designer/2000 and Developer/2000 software, making this the most
affordable textbook + CASE/developer tool offer available!
The much anticipated second edition of Modern Systems Analysis
and Design features a slightly more streamlined approach
with the very latest SA&D coverage. Rather
than strictly focusing on the technological perspective, this
textbook emphasizes the business perspective and focuses on emerging
human, organizational, and technical skills needed by information
systems professionals. When the second edition is used in tandem
with Modern Database Management, 5e by Fred R. McFadden,
Jeffrey A. Hoffer, and Mary B. Prescott (1999-Prentice Hall),
students can follow a common systems development framework in the
SA&D and database sequence.
Just the Facts:
New to this edition:
- Oracle Designer/2000 Edition! Order
Modern Systems Analysis and Design: Oracle Edition and your
student will receive the textbook packaged with the Oracle Designer
2000/CASE tool on CD-ROM and a Designer 2000 user's guide. The cost
is only $8 more than the textbook alone.
- Designer/2000 is used as the primary CASE tool
- Significant coverage has been added to the new edition about
increasingly important systems development methods:
Object-oriented analysis and design and Rapid Application
- The new edition has been streamlined based on
customer feedback. Related topics have been consolidated and less
important material is being moved to the Modern Systems Analysis
and Design web site.
- New problems and end-of-chapter exercises have been added
throughout the entire text and are arranged by level of difficulty.
- New part opening cases profile Oracle and
- Broadway Entertainment Company cases have been
updated and now apply a CASE tool more familiar to adopters.
- Expanded teaching package: Instructor CD-ROM
includes on-line testing software and test bank, PowerPoint®
show, and instructor's manual. Also new is the 2/e state-of-the-art
- New Chapter 4: Tools for System
Development focuses on current tools for systems
development, not just CASE tools, with an emphasis on visual
- Web-based development project costs is now covered in
Chapter 6: Initiating and Planning Systems Development
- Chapter 12: Object Oriented Analysis
now covers this material in a full chapter, providing flexibility
for instructor's who want to teach with an Object-Oriented approach.
The very latest object-oriented systems analysis and design methods
and techniques are addressed which is consistent with the latest UML
- Chapter 13: Rapid Application Development
now covers this material in a full chapter. RAD coverage has been
expanded to address the process and advantages/disadvantages;
includes examples of RAD approaches to system development.
- Chapter 20: System Implementation: Documenting,
Testing, and Implementation combines two chapters on
implementation into one.
- Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
- New for 2e adopters! Includes Instructor's Manual,
TestGenEQ/QuizMaster EQ with User's Guide, and
PowerPoint Presentation with figures from the text.
- Instructor's Resource Manual
- The Instructor's Manual provides answers to all text review
questions, problems, and exercises, plus teaching suggestions.
Also includes a list of the transparency masters available on the
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM.
- Printed Test Bank
- Includes 40-60 multiple choice, 15 matching, and 5 essay
questions per chapter.
- EDS Video
- This video series is prepared by Electronic Data Systems
Corporation specifically to accompany and consists of four videos, approximately 15
minutes in length, that focus on systems analysis and design. A
new segment will be available with the 2e.
- World Wide Web
Oracle Resources and Registration
©1999 Prentice-Hall, Inc., A division of Pearson Education, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey 07458 Legal Statement
Comments should be directed to email@example.com